Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Dexter and Dougstanhope

My two new favorite things begin with D.

Dexter,
it's a TV show, I know.

But my friend Trav in Derby gave me the book.
The Omnibus, three books.

and that shit is good.

I tried to watch some episodes online last night,
because I've never seen it,
because I don't have showtime,
and I don't really have a TV.

But, check this out, HULU doesn't work in the UK.

And somehow they know I'm in the UK.

Now, I tried routing myself through an IP
blocker to make it seem like I'm surfing
through America, but that didn't work.

So I still haven't seen the show,
but man... the book is fantastic.

and scary as hell.

And I was sitting in an empty living room
reading about a guy cutting up bodies
piece by piece while they're still alive,
and....
you know those automatic air freshener things?

they usually have them in bathrooms,
every 25 minutes or so they squirt out
a little pump of air freshener?

They always scare the crap out of me in bathrooms,
but when the one went off last night in the living room,
I almost peed my pants.

ironic, really,
or maybe just funny.

Maybe my brain is tricked into thinking
I'm in a bathroom when I hear that noise.

Anyway,
it was a great day off, reading scaring
books and not doing a god damn thing.

My other new favorite is Doug Stanhope.

He's a comic from the states.

I had heard of him, heard he was great,
but I had never seen his work.

It's fucking legendary.

He picks up where Bill Hicks left off,
and just like when Ed introduced me to Bill Hicks,
I felt stupid for not having heard it before,
and I felt invigorated and excited about comedy again.

Unlike Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope is still alive,
and I'm going to try to catch him live before
he changes that fact.

One last thing,
the lead singer from The President of the United States of America
is now singing children's music.

And it's brilliant,
and he's playing in my old home town of Rochester, NY.

I'm back to Los Angeles in 8 days,
I've got 6 more shows here, but we just added a 7th.

see you soon, somewhere...

-p

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Breitbach said...

I have all episodes of Dexter - when are you coming back to Des Moines?

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home