Saturday, September 08, 2007

what's up?

Hey Pete,
where are you tonight?

well...

funny that you ask.

I'm in a two bedroom suite at
an expensive hotel,
all to myself,
which is ridiculous,
and I'm in Lansing, Michigan.

I did a show with my old
Improv Comedy troup,
two shows, actually,
in front of an adoring
crowd of 400+

and it was awesome.

I toured with these guys
for one and a half years
before my music started
taking over my life,
and before I had a serious
girlfriend, two legitimate distractions.

Now I'm a fill in pro,
off retirement to come in
when they need me,
and it feels awesome.

I cut my teeth at these shows,
learned how to perform
off the cuff shit in front
of a crowd.

And I love it.

You haven't lived until
you have a huge room
full of college students
hanging and laughing
on your every word.

But that's where I am,
tonight.

and tomorrow I'll be somewhere else.

and then on Wednesday I take
off for one month on my own
on the road playing music.

It's a good life.

Hard and weird sometimes,
but I can't complain.

I'm sleeping with beautiful
girls, too many of them for
any heart trying desperately
to remain pure.

What did you expect from me?

I'm just out of a four year
serious thing,
and I love women,
entirely.

Too much so,
that it consumes me.

You're all so soft and nice
and wonderful,
and you all have your awesome
things to offer the world.

I'll try my hardest to be nice
and honest with you.

But don't be mad at me when I fuck up.

please.

I'm trying to do my best
to be good,

but I'm tempted to be so bad,
and we're really all so bad,
on the inside somewhere.

We're selfish animals
that want to fuck.

or maybe not.

but I think so.

I'm trying to keep
my head on straight
as I fall in love over
and over again like
its good food and
and open bar.

but its not,
and I know it.

and I'll get burned,
eventually,
and I know it.

but in the meantime,
I'm sleeping alone
in a luxury hotel
that someone else
is paying for,
doing comedy for
money until I get
back home where
a lovely girl who needs me
is waiting,
and until then,
I'm drunk at a computer.

what do you want from me?

I'm trying to do my best
to be a good person.

as it stands,
I'm not.

but I think I make
people laugh sometimes,
and that has to count for something.

-p

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey this is Jess *the girls you gave pizza to after the show* just wanted to thank you for the CD and a great night. The CD is awesome particularly likes the suburban high school song... *sighs* so true and very funny. we might head down for your Detroit show on the 15th, it's my b-day on the 14th so we are talking about making the journey... but it's really late and we just got home just wanted to thank you for the CD and the laughs. : ) take care
Jess

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home