Thursday, April 27, 2006

I Paid My Taxes.

I love the United States.

I bitch about it a lot,
but deep down,
I love it.

I don't feel bad about
giving my contribution,
it makes me feel good
to chip in for my roads,
and my schools, and
my clean, fresh drinking water.

Today,
I paid my taxes.

From 2003.

It was a long, hard journey,
but with a few clicks of a mouse,
I am settled up with Uncle Sam.

And it feels good.

For two reasons:
I don't have the IRS chasing me,
and I have done my part.

But underneath,
I am really upset.

I'm upset because my money
doesn't go to roads, and schools,
and fresh, clean water.

It goes to war.

I had to scrounge every penny,
and squeeze every dime to
afford to pay the IRS $642.48
of back taxes from 2003.

I know there are big companies
hiring accountants and paying
them at least $642.48 per day to figure
out new fancy ways to cheat and
get out of paying taxes.

In the meantime,
I'll do my part,
as an American,
even if it is two years late.

I've learned some new things about America:

Christopher Columbus was an asshole.
Woodrow Wilson was remarkably racist.
And Helen Keller was an active communist.

Who knew?

-p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home