Thursday, January 12, 2006

the Radio

whew..
whew e doggee.

It has been a whirlwind
of transmitted activity.

Nice Peter has met the radio,
and the radio has met Nice Peter.

I've done 5 appearances in the last two weeks,
and I've learned a shitload.

First, what it looks like on the inside
is nothing like what I imagined.

It moves so fast,
especially Fook at Q101.
He talks calm while he's moving
a mile a minute.
Phone calls come in,
he records them,
chops them up,
trims the fat,
then plays them back
2 minutes later.
the calls sound live,
and more or less they are.
But sometimes he talks
to the call he just recorded,
like he's conversing with the past.
weird.

He's a fucking cool dude,
he's coming to the show in Chicago on Saturday.

The morning show in Springfield, IL...
now that was a trip.

I was up and at the station at 7:30 am.
I pledged not to complain, because
I'm sure every band complains about the early hour,
and who wants to be just like every band?

I was prepared to play Tru Gangster and Spanglish,
my most innocent songs.
When the co-host, Liz, started talking about smoking weed,
I said "I've got a little song about Smoking Weed, it's called,
Smoke that Weed..."
she laughed and said... "oh... play that one!"

So I played Smoke That Weed live on the air at 8 am.
Every one in the studio gave me that look where you
pull your gums back from over your teeth,
like when somebody gets hurt in a football game on tv.
the sound is "ch" pulled backwards through your teeth.
"hhhshhh...!"

I guess it wasn't what they expected.
The male host looked concerned,
but he didn't want to interupt me,
so he let me finish.
Right at the end,
instead of saying,
"smoke that weed mother fucker"

I said...
"smoke that weed with Liz and Barstool Bob on the morning show"

and he came in with:
"oh... no... no don't smoke with us...no"
and then
"well, that was good, this might be the last episode
of the morning show, as we're probably going to lose our jobs"

oops.

she told me to play it.

He was just kidding,
half kidding at least,
but I guess I crossed the line a bit.

the people out in the office
gave me funny, but amused, looks.

I went in and recorded some little
ditties about Liz and Barstool Bob.

Barstool Bob is cool,
and he invited me back to his
apartment to smoke some weed.
go figure.

Tonight it's Springfield, IL.
tomorrow it's St Louis,
and an appearance on Radio-uncensored.com.

I'm so used to being clean on the air from this past week,
I might freeze up when I get the chance to let loose.

Either that or I'll revisit Black People Soup.

-p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home