Saturday, September 19, 2009

Homecoming

On Thursday morning I woke up at Ed's
house at six am, UK time.

That's eight hours ahead of Los Angeles time.

I took a cab to the train station,
took the train to Manchester airport,
got on a plane at 10 am,
took off at 10:45.

I flew to Atlanta, landing at 3:30 Atlanta time,
that's 8:30 pm UK time.

I had a layover until 5:45, went through customs,
took off at 6, landed in LA at 7:30 California time.

That's 3:30 am UK time. For a total travel time
of 21 and a half hours.

and that's where it got awesome.

I checked into a 4 star hotel
that I got on Priceline for 70 bucks.

I was meeting a lady,
we met.

Ate dinner, drank wine,
drank coffee in an effort
to stay awake late enough to
reset my clock and get past jetlag.

I woke up the next morning at 7:30 am,
couldn't sleep,
woke up the lady...

"hey, let's go downstairs and get some breakfast
and bloody marys and then I'll fall back asleep no problem."

We went, we convinced them to unlock the bar
to serve us cocktails, at 8 am.

We were surrounded by business people,
I was sitting in a cowboy hat and sunglasses
asking for their wine list at 8 am.

It was awesome.

We did not get back to sleep,
we checked out late at 3 pm,
took a cab to my house in LA.

My roommates we're gearing up to visit
some bar in the mountains.

Now, when I tell you that last night
I went to the coolest bar in the world,
surely you can trust me.

I think I am a relatively good authority
on cool bars, having been to a fair number around the world.

This place, was fucking unbelievable.

I was half asleep, riding a current
of coffee, and steady drinking.
I was still in my cowboy hat and sunglasses,
when we turned up at this Ranch Bar.

A bar, on a ranch, in the middle of the mountains,
with tons of money, but not expensive, and no one there
except for a few small groups like us wandering
around not believing how beautiful and awesome it was.

They had ducks, paddle boats,
chandeliers hanging from trees,
all weather mattresses laid out on the grass,
pillows, outdoor couches, frogs, a classy bar,
some kind of chef, trails, and no apparent
rules or regulations.

We stayed there until it was time to leave,
and now I'm waking up and getting ready
to go to the ocean.

England, I love you,
but holy shit, it's good to be home.

-p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home