Thursday, January 18, 2007

the foibles.

Ah...
the wonderful world
of the Chicago music scene.

The Backstory:

I was asked by my booking agent, (Bryan)
who was asked by a local musician, (MER)
if I would play two short sets at his
residency at a local sports bar (Cubby Bear)

I am on vacation, you know that,
but I like MER, and I wanted to help
make his show as good and fun as possible.

I was very happy to play my songs
and do some short sets, loosen up
the crowd, bring some laughter to the evening.

Cool, I'll do the gig.

The Pre-Drama:

I didn't post the show on nicepeter.com or myspace.
It wasn't that kind of show, it was a simple
thursday night gig, I wanted to try out a few
new songs, I didn't want the pressure
of drawing a crowd or performing for fans
who have seen me before.

In my mind, it was MER's show,
and I was helping my friend by
doing my best to make it a good show.

The Drama:

MER is furious that I did not advertise the show.
He was counting on me to draw a crowd,
to help fill such an enormous room on a weekday.

He wrote Bryan and email asking why I didn't advertise,
and another email soon after, kicking me off the show.

I took off work tonight to play,
to help my fellow musician,
who is a cool guy, no matter
what this story allows you to think.

The Emails:

Bryan,

I'm sorry to inform you that I've decided to take Pete
off the bill for tonight. I understand that this
action might be in bad form, but due to the
circumstances, I cannot justify paying someone and
buying them dinner for just showing up and playing.
I'm sure you understand.

I'm given a budget at the CB to bring out acts that
can help draw and fill that big ass room on weekdays.
I was confident that Pete would help and that's why I
invited him. Unfortunately, the lack of promotion has
prompted me to take action.

Please send forward this message to him and please
send him my apologies. If he has any questions, have
him call me.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the trouble!

MER

----------------------------
Dear Mer,

dude.

I like you, always have,
still do,
let me get out there first.

I took off work tonight
to play because I wanted to
help you out.

I don't need the gig,
I'm not looking for gigs right now,
I was scheduled to work.

I was hired by you for $75
to be your special guest
at your show.

My job was to show up,
play hard, get the crowd
feeling great, laughing,
and ready to enjoy your music.

I was happy to do that for you
because I like you and your music.

$75 was a fine deal for that.

you never said one word
about promoting the show
or drawing a crowd to Bryan.

any promotion or draw
is your fucking responsibility.
it is your residency.
"with special guest, Nice Peter"

you and I know both know
what I would have done,
I would have played,
people would have laughed,
and they would have been all
the more happy to rock out with you.

instead, I fucked my evening
trying to do a favor for you,
and you made the choice
to send some cocky bullshit
email to Bryan and
"take me off the bill"

it wasn't a "bill", holmes,
and the only thing you
took me off of was
the list of people who
are excited to help you out.

I'm not going to fret about this,
I'll put it behind me,
I still like you,
but it was a real cocksucker thing to do.

much love and have a good show.

-pete

---------------
The Conclusion:

some things are just stupid.

-p

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who was that said "No good deed goes unpunished"...

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tu eres tonto, t metes con 50 cent y el pasa de ti porque eres una mierda. 50 cent se tira un pedo y te mata soplapollas, ajá yeah. Feo, triglicerido, eunuco. Me caes bien. Mi pene huele bien.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home