Sunday, August 13, 2006

Work

I got an interesting response to one of my journal posts,
something to the effect of,
"don't you think you could have a better life
if you weren't doing drugs all the time?"

Not insulting, merely thought provoking.

The truth is,
I don't do drugs all the time.

I write about my drug experiences
because they are usually interesting,
and I know they bother my mother,
who reads this often.

I think I glamorize a certain side
of my life on this website,
one that smokes a lot of pot
and drinks and takes who-knows-what
at concerts with strangers and wakes
up naked next to older ladies
and people with beards.

That side does exist,
and I think it presents some funny stories,
but the truth remains, between all of the fun,
and drugs, and beards, there is a lot of work.

Here is a breakdown of our tour so far this week:

Wednesday.
We return from our camping vacation,
well-rested and refreshed.

I get back to my office in my apartment,
check my email, answer emails, try to continue
getting the content on the website fixed.
Enter in email lists sign-ups, mail out
three online CD orders, make phone calls
to order more CDs.

Thursday:
Wake up, design a new cover and insert
for CDs getting printed, take the bus to
the duplication studio, drop off order,
take the bus to kinkos, print inserts,
come home, restring guitar, load in equipment
into the car with Kristen. Pick up the CDs,
load-in to Martyrs, go home, shower, go back to Martyrs,
play a fun show, hang out, pack up the car.

Drive towards Columbus, OH for a 3 pm load-in the next day.

Find a hotel, sleep for 7 hours, wake up, keep driving.

Arrive in Columbus, load-in and wait through
two sound checks, set up shit on stage,
open for Gin Blossoms, sell merchandise,
do some shots, meet cool people, go to hotel
to pass out.

Wake up at 9 am to drive to Indianapolis
for a music industry conference.

Sign in, pick up badges, attend seminar,
meet publicist dude, find out he's going to
another bar, meet him there to talk more business,
wait ten minutes nervously to approach him.

Walk to Kinkos, make flyers for showcases,
eat quick food, play solo showcase at 10:45,
hang out, sell CDs, load out and run across
the street for me and Kristen's showcase
at 12:30. Load in, wait, play set,
sell CDs, load out and drive to Mike's house
to sleep. Drink one beer, pass out,
wake up with sore throat, go get medicine,
sit here ant type this before driving
back to Columbus for our show tonight.

I don't write this to complain,
I still love my job more than anything,
I just wanted to illustrate that it's
more fun for me to write about the crazy
moments having fun and/or doing drugs
than write about the mundane repetitions
of touring around the midwest.

-p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home