Tuesday, January 22, 2008

How to book a tour in England

I met a bartender the other night,
who seemed to know me,
at least she knew my name.

I don't know if I had met her before,
but she was very nice,
and pretty,
and we talked a little about England.

I told her I could give her advice,
if she emailed me,
and I thought I'd share my response with you.

I'm not sure why,
I just think it's kinda interesting:
---------------------------------------------
hey pete I just had some questions about your tour.  all these places seem like really great places top play....did any of them have places for you to stay while you were playing there?  Did you rent a car to get a train ticket? and did you tour solo or with your drummer?? I'm really considering this is sounds like such a great thing.

-rebecca
----------------------------------------------------------------


okay.

well,
I've been four times now.

If you get a car,
you need a GPS,
they call them Sat Navs,
and you can rent them for 40 pounds for a month.

You can also rent a car,
with a Visa card,
and save on the insurance.
Visa has an automatic car rental
insurance built in, as long as you pay
the whole thing with a visa,
you can find that info through your bank.

American Express has a similar thing
on some cards, it can save you hundreds
of dollars.

Again, without the Sat Nav GPS thing,
you're going to be lost all the time.
even with it, alone, you're in a for a tough trip.
I would suggest taking the train the first time.

It's fun, relaxing, exciting, crazy,
and very safe. It's more like the Metra
than Amtrak.  You can get from
the absolute top of the country to
the bottom in nine hours.

I did it once when I messed up
geographically.

If you take the train,
you need these two websites:

www.britrail.com

for passes
and
www.nationalrail.co.uk

for train times, schedules,
and trip durations.

It will also help you figure
out how to plot the tour,
based on distance.

this site was handy in finding
different towns that are close to eachother:

I would pick a county,
pick a town,
look it up,
and find venues.

email them,
or even better,
if you can add international
calling and wake up early,
give them a call.

The accent is thick
on the cell phone,
and that gets tricky,
but they are almost
unbelievably friendly.

If they ask for a price,
tell them you are trying
to get a 100 pound guarantee,

some will say no,
some will say 75,
some will say 40.

but some, unbelievably,
will just say yes.

The UK music scene
is very type casted.

i.e.

they say exactly what the night
is going to be, and pigeon hole
everything.

You are acoustic.

put in "acoustic nights UK"
into google and watch what happens.

now put in "metal nights UK"
and see what I mean.

England usually works
on a system of "promoters"
who organize the gigs,
handle the money,
and best of all,
get people in the seats.

it doesn't always work,
but in my experience they
are excited to work with
acts from the US.

Your touring history
isn't as strong as it could be
to sell yourself as a national US artist,
but its still worth a try.

They book at least six months ahead
in some venues, a much longer lead time
than I've found over here.

If you start working on now for a
tour in June or July, you can see
how it goes, and decide what to do.

I did two weeks on my first tour,
gigging every day.

some didn't pay,
but one paid 200 quid (pounds)

in the current exchange rate,
thats four hundred bucks.

add one for fifty quid and
you've got your plane ticket.

I had an easier time,
because I was following
in the wake of another
comedy rock band that
do well over there.

They had told some people
about me, and I had a little to go on.

We play different types of venues,
I don't like the acoustic nights,
so I stay away from them.
people get freaked out by me
at those nights.

But you can target the acoustic nights,
pick two weeks, plot a basic route
using the maps, and start filling in gigs.

As for places to sleep.
My first tour I booked a bed and breakfast
for almost every night,
now I just go,
and figure I'll find a place to sleep.

I did 22 gigs in 24 days on my last tour,
it was me and my manager,
and we got one hotel room.

actually two,
but I ended up in bed
with a forty year old,
but that's a very different story.

the English are very friendly,
and almost always someone
will ask if you need a place to stay.

I can sleep on a dog if I drink enough,
so I made it okay,
but that part is up to you.

every single town
that has a music venue
also has a cheap bed and breakfast.

when I say cheap,
I mean 20-30 pounds.
that includes a full meal
in the morning.

if you're getting some good pay
at the shows, it's worth it.

Also, you can ask the venues
if they have a room for musicians
to stay in, some do.

I never would have been able
to do it without help,
so I'm happy to pass it on.

Ask as many questions
as you like, any time,
and if you haven't heard back from me,
ask again.

I'm lazy,
and I smoke a lot of pot sometimes,
but I'm definitely willing to help
as much as I can.

-p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home